The Tweed is inclusive and functions as an art collecting and teaching museum that promotes learning through collections stewardship, exhibits, and diverse art programs for all ages. Founded in 1949 to serve students and Minnesotans, and built in 1958 on the UMD campus, the Tweed operates today in a 33,000 sq. ft. facility. Its collections consist of European, American, and global art. Over time, the Indigenous collections, which began 2007 with a major donation, grew significantly. Today, the museum serves several Indian reservations in our region, rural/urban Minnesota communities, and bordering states such as Wisconsin, Michigan, and Canada.