With its picturesque landscape full of winter wonder, vibrant entertainment, and plenty of warm spots to cozy up, Duluth is for lovers: outdoor lovers, craft beverage lovers, arts and culture lovers, or just lovers of a good time.
Here are a few ideas on how to spend Valentine’s Day in Duluth:
For Outdoor Adventure Lovers
Nothing brings a couple (or friends!) together more than shared adventures, and Duluth is the perfect place to get your hearts pumping.
- Zoom downhill at Spirit Mountain, steer fat tire bikes through groomed trails or lift-accessed downhill courses, or try ice climbing in Quarry Park.
- If a slower pace is more your style, Duluth offers top-notch snowshoeing and winter hiking opportunities. Visit a city park or check out the Duluth section of the Superior Hiking Trail. (And don’t forget your camera to capture great views and shareable selfies.)
- Keep the adventure going by warming up in the Cedar and Stone Nordic Ice Sauna in Canal Park.
For Craft Beverage Lovers
After a day on the slopes or trails, warm up with some liquid libations.
- Snuggle up in a corner and enjoy some hand-crafted cocktails at Vikre Distillery’s cozy tap room, or head to one of Duluth’s many breweries or cideries.
- Since flowers and beer make a perfect Valentine’s Day gift, Ursa Minor Brewery is offering two flower pop-up stands on February 13 and 14, along with a sock drive for Duluth’s Damaino Center. Bent Paddle is also hosting local gift and treat pop-ups with live music on Valentine’s Day.
- After sipping on cider, challenge each other to a round of curling (a favorite Duluth sport) under the lights at the outdoor lanes at Wild State Cider.
- While you’re in the area, be sure to check out Lincoln Park’s “Lights On! With Love” Valentine’s Day light display at participating businesses throughout the neighborhood (Feb. 1-14).
- Prefer your drinks outside with a view of the Duluth Harbor? The Great Lakes Aquarium is hosting its winter BRRR Garden every Friday in February, complete with bonfire pits to keep you warm.
For History Lovers
There’s something romantic about traveling back in time together, and Duluth offers plenty of ways for couples to explore its storied history.
- Explore the historic and beautiful Duluth Depot, home to seven different organizations including the Lake Superior Railroad Museum and the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Tour the timelessly grand Glensheen Mansion (be sure to check out Glensheen’s “Hunt the Hearts” scavenger hunt Feb. 4-6 and Feb. 11-14.).
- Learn about Duluth’s oldest brewery, Fitger’s. Founded in 1857, Fitger’s is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features self-guided tours and an onsite museum.
For Live Show Lovers
For the perfect date night, catch a little live entertainment in Duluth.
- Zeitgeist is hosting a “Cupid’s Stupid Comedy Show” on Valentine’s Day – with a special Monday opening of Zeitgeist Restaurant and Bar.
- The Boat Club Restaurant and Bar is also hosting live standup comedy on Feb. 11 and 12. (Dinner reservations before the show are recommended.)
- If you want to dance or take in some live tunes, check out Wussow’s Concert Café on Saturday and Sunday, or Sir Benedict’s Tavern on the Lake for live music five to seven nights a week.
For Dessert Lovers
Need some sightseeing fuel? Make a sweet stop with your sweetheart as you stroll around town.
- What’s dinner without dessert? Grab treats for two at one of many locally owned restaurants around Duluth.
- Lean into love and share some ice cream from Love Creamery.
- Duluth Candy Co. is also the perfect place to pick up a few sweets for your sweetie (or yourself).
For Animal Lovers
Want to share a unique experience together learning about your favorite (or soon to be favorite) animals? Check out the Lake Superior Zoo.
- The Zoo is offering “Best Date Ever” experiences Feb. 12 and 13, where you can learn what it takes to care for the animals at the Zoo with private keeper chats, behind-the-scenes tours, feedings and more.
- NOTE: The experiences are for adults 18+ and spots are limited.
- Throughout the year, the Zoo is a great place to explore and learn (and awww!) together, with more than 140 species of animals in indoor and outdoor habitats.
For Glass Art (and Wine!) Lovers
- From Feb. 11 – 14, Lake Superior Art Glass is offering private wine goblet making classes where couples can create their own custom wine glasses. Enjoy a complimentary glass of wine when you’re finished (must be 21+).
- For other unique Valentine’s Day gift options, Lake Superior Art Glass is also offering custom glass vase classes (which include a custom floral arrangement from Superior Blooms in Duluth) and heart paper weight classes for those 10 and up.
There’s lots to love in Duluth. And with plenty of lodging options to choose from, it’s the perfect place to spend a romantic getaway (Valentine’s Day or not).